Always follow the Ten Basic Citation Rules:
1. Use correct opening and closing sentences.
2. Use full military rank & name in first sentence (ex: Master Sergeant John J. Doe). Short oral address in second and closing sentences (ex: Sergeant Doe). Pronouns in other sentences (ex: he).
3. Use transitions (During this period, Sergeant Doe…, Additionally he…, Furthermore he…, Finally he…)
4. Do not use abbreviations, acronyms, special characters, or superscript.
5. Spell out numbers ten and less and millions/billions (ex: two million dollars or $2 million (preferred)). Use numerals for 1,000 to 9,999 (ex: 2,357).
6. Use third person, active voice, past tense. Also use only 12 font.
7. Do not use alphanumeric organizational designators. (ex: SCOO)
8. Do not include classified information on citation.
9. Avoid using titles, terms, and expressions (“Geek-Speak”) not easily understood by general public. And also avoid using exaggerated superlatives (ex. unequalled / unprecedented).
10. Include quarterly, annual military & PME awards received (individual, team or unit) and base or community leadership involvement.
|Awards and Dec Power Point (AETC) (ppt)|
|Decorations Guide (2nd BW - Nov 02) (300K Doc)|
|Decorations Guide (Hill AFB -02) (410k Doc)|
|Decoration Guide (Ira Eaker College) (217K Doc)|
|Decoration Guide (Pentagon) (284K Doc)|
|USAF/SG Dec Guide w/ Examples PDF|
|Decorations Guide (10 AB Wing '03) w/ Ex (27M Doc)|
|Decoration Guide (12MSS '00) (188K Doc)|
|Decorations Guide(18th Wing '03) (231K Doc)|
|Decorations Guide (45SW '00) (77K rtf)|
|Awards & Decorations Guide (51FW '99) w/ Ex (538K Doc)|
|Decorations Guide (55th Wing '05) (4.8M Doc)|
|Awards & Decoration Guide (61 MSS '00)w/ Ex (4M Doc)|
|Decorations Guide (62AW '00) (138k Doc)|
|Decorations Guide (159 FW AD and Guard) (106K Doc)|
|Late Decoration Letter|
|Decoration Name||Recommendation Examples and Guides||Narrative Examples||Examples (e.g.) of Citation|
|Silver Star||Citations 1,2,3,4,5,6|
|Defense Meritorious Service Medal (DMSM)||DMSM Submission Guideline||DMSM Citation|
|Meritorious Service Medal (MSM)||PCS MSM
|Joint Meritorious Unit Award (JMUA)||JTF - Assured Lift|
|Basic Joint Service Medal||Example of Board Recommendation||Example of Narrative Joint Service||Basic Joint Service|
|Joint Service Commendation Medal (JSCM)||JCSM Submission Guideline||JSCM for PCS 1, 2||Citations 1, 2|
|Aerial Achievement Medal||Citations 1,2,3|
|Joint Service Achievement Medal (JSAM)||JSAM Submission Guideline||JSAM Citation|
|Air Force Commendation Medal (AFCM)||OA Citations 1,2|
|Civilian Achievement Award||2002|
|Air Force Achievement Medal (AFAM)||OA AFAM||OA Citation 1,2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9|
|Armed Forces Expeditionary Medal (AFEM)||AFEM Citation|
[Back to Table of Contents]
|Send a Comment and/or Suggestion|
Page last modified on: 27 September 2010
Copyright © 2006 AFWriting. All rights reserved. View
Terms and Conditions of Use.